About the Job
What makes your pharmacy career greater with OptumRx? You'll work within an incredible team culture; a clinical and business collaboration that is learning and evolving every day. As a pharmacist on the Clinical and Pharmacy Operations team, you will perform various duties as it relates to therapy assessment, care planning and departmental communications to streamline efficiencies across the department.
To succeed in this position, a baseline understanding of various infusion related therapies is needed. These functions include interpreting, formulating, and dispensing of infusion and/or specialty drugs for sterile compounding and / or distribution. Pharmacist clinical activities include therapy assessment, care planning and medication reconciliation as they pertain to individual patients and the appropriate monitoring for effective care and positive patient outcome. This is a dynamic work environment and requires flexibility to meet business needs and adaptability to frequent changes. Teamwork is the norm and all employees will be held accountable to work as effective team members.
This position is for a Production Pharmacist working in the Specialty Infusion Services unit within OptumRx, a UnitedHealth Group company.
- Reviews medication orders and evaluates appropriateness and completeness of orders with consideration given to the special needs and behaviors of the specific age group served. Verifies all prescriptions not directly received from the prescriber or physician’s agent
- Provide oversight of the safety; appropriateness, and effectiveness of the pharmaceutical care provide to patients (consumers) as it relates to specialty products dispensed.
- Assesses the patient at the initiation of drug therapy, develops a patient care plan and drug monitoring regimen and monitors the patient according to the care plan throughout the course of therapy.
- Communicates with the patient, physician, nursing staff, other pharmacists and other members of the health care team regarding patient status, response to therapy and clinical objectives to ensure clinical outcomes are met.
- When required, compounds intravenous and specialty pharmaceuticals in an aseptic fashion according to established State Board of Pharmacy, Federal, USP<797> sterile guidelines and company policy. Knowledgeable of the proper use and handling of both sterile and hazardous medications. Compounds and handles sterile and hazardous medications in accordance with established guidelines and regulations.
- Ensures compliance with all FDA, DEA, State Board of Pharmacy, OSHA and other regulatory standards. Follows all department policies and procedures.
- Provides indirect oversight of pharmacy technician and pharmacy support staff.
- BS in Pharmacy or PharmD degree
- Pharmacist license in good standing in the current state of residence
- Strong drug product and clinical pharmacy knowledge
- Knowledgeable in various infusion related therapies and ability to work through the complexity of therapy related orders.
- Ability to fill medication orders accurately and in a timely manner.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Must be able to take call after hours, weekends and holidays as scheduled
- Computer and typing proficiency is required, including MS Word
- 3+ years of practicing Pharmacist experience working in home infusion, hospital, or related healthcare environment
- Experience developing or operationalizing medication clinical guidelines and / or formulary development
- Experience working within a managed healthcare system
UnitedHealth Group is working to create the health care system of tomorrow.
Already Fortune 6, we are totally focused on innovation and change. We work a little harder. We aim a little higher. We expect more from ourselves and each other. And at the end of the day, we're doing a lot of good.
Through our family of businesses and a lot of inspired individuals, we're building a high-performance health care system that works better for more people in more ways than ever. Now we're looking to reinforce our team with people who are decisive, brilliant - and built for speed.
Come to UnitedHealth Group, and share your ideas and your passion for doing more. We have roles that will fit your skills and knowledge. We have diverse opportunities that will fit your dreams.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: Pharmacist, Clinical Pharmacist, Licensed, Home Infusion, Marina, San Francisco, San Jose, CA, California