Curtze Food Service, a 6th generation family owned company 139 years in business, is seeking highly motivated individuals with CDL Class A license to work out of depot in Lewistown, PA. Position requires driving, lifting, stacking and the loading or unloading of product at several stops throughout the day. Home every night.
Monday - Friday 5:30am start until the all stops are delivered. Guaranteed 40 hours per week. Time and a half after 40 hours. $21.24/hour
Job Summary- To transport and deliver products by driving a tractor-trailer or straight truck short distances and or long distance. Coordinates or works with customers, sales representatives and other Curtze personnel. This position reports to the Transportation Supervisor.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Hook and unhook trailers from tractors or from converter dolly, including pushing and or pulling dollies into place and cranking handle to raise and lower landing gear on semi trailers or front support on converter dollies.
• Perform frequent lifting, pulling pushing and carrying of products of varying weights.
• Inspect truck for defects and safe operating condition before, during and after trips and submit a written report on the condition of the truck at the end of each trip.
• Maintain records required for compliance with state and federal regulations including driver’s logs, record of fuel purchases, mileage records and other records required by law.
• Perform all duties in accordance with company policies and procedures and comply with all federal, state and local regulations for safe operations of a commercial motor vehicle.
• Report all accidents involving driver or company equipment to the transportation supervisor.
• Apply knowledge of commercial driving and skills in maneuvering vehicle at varying speed in difficult situations, such as heavy traffic, inclement weather, backing or in tight loading dock areas.
• Ensure that all shipment documentation (e.g. manifest customer invoices, bills of lading or shipping orders) required to move with shipments are available for inspection and that appropriate paperwork accompanies shipments when delivered.
• Promptly report any delay due to breakdown, weather or traffic conditions or other emergencies, or in the event of irregularities at a pick up or delivery location by contacting the office or transportation supervisor.
• Safe and legal operation of a commercial motor vehicle.
• Safe and timely transportation of products from origin to destination.
• Professional representation of the company through responsible driving professional appearance and a high level of customer service.
• Must call in credits from account when they accrue by contacting the office or Transportation Supervisor.
• Collect all COD payments and remit to office daily as defined in driver’s procedure manual.
Employment is contingent upon passing background check drug screen, physical capacity test and DOT physical.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Equipment
• Must have the ability to read, write English and perform simple mathematical calculations with general mental ability to handle receipts, read maps road signs, maintain logs, etc.
• Must have working knowledge of vehicle safety and control systems.
• Must have knowledge of DOT regulations safe driving, hours of service, inspection and maintenance and transportation of hazardous materials.
• Must meet or exceed the medical stands of the U.S. Department of Transportation.
• Must satisfactorily pass a drug test.
• Prompt and regular attendance at work.
• Professional appearance; grooming and dress consistent with desired corporate image.
Education and Experience
• Must possess a valid Commercial Drivers License - Class A
• Must meet MVR Standards: 1) No more than two minor violations in any one year. 2) No more than three minor violations in three years. 3) No more than two major violations in three years. 4) No DUI or DWI in the past five years.
Minor Violations-Include speeding less than 10 mph, overloads, minor equipment problems, and failure to have proper documentation. Major Violations-Include DWI, DUI and failure to stop at stop light or stop sign, at fault accident, 10+ mph over the posted limit or driving while license is under suspension or not reporting incidents to your supervisor or manager. (Driver Selection/Qualification Program)
• Must have one (1) year previous tractor –trailer driving experience or exhibit completion of a commercial operator’s school.
• Must be able to sit and remain alert while driving for an aggregate period of up to 11 hours.
• Must be able to shift a manual transmission and operate foot pedals.
• Must be able to perform frequent squatting to handle, position and secure product.
• Must be able to enter and exit the vehicle’s cab as many as 60 times a day or more. Cab floor level is generally 45 to 48 inches above the ground level, with entry and exit achieved with the assistance of various configurations of ramps, steps and handholds; also requires frequent bending, twisting, climbing, squatting, crouching and balancing.
• Must be able to perform frequent pushing or pulling of product weighing up to 250 pounds on a dolly or cart as well as occasional pushing or pulling of freight weighing up to 80 pounds without a mechanical aid.
• Must be able to frequently load or unload full trailers of product weighing as much as 40,000 pounds. This type of activity could proceed or follow as much as 11 hours of driving
• Must be able to hook/ unhook various commercial vehicle combinations, manually lower and raise landing gear, operate the fifth wheel release lever, lock and release pintle-hooks, attach and release safety chains, open and close cargo doors climb into and off of vehicles and check engine fluid levels.
• Must be able to perform duties such as climb into back of trailer from ground level to inspect cargo, and to make sure correct load has been placed on trailer for transport.