About the Job
The Executive Director of Market Development is responsible for leading staff and volunteer development efforts to achieve targeted revenue growth and goals in the assigned market. The position serves as a liaison between the National, Regional and Market offices in order to ensure that March of Dimes mission and fundraising objectives are met. This position will cover the Miami and Ft Lauderdale Markets.
Principle roles and responsibilities include revenue development, strategic planning, volunteer leadership development, staff development, and financial management. The position reports to the Regional Vice President of Field Operations.
• Recruit and Develop Top Volunteer Leadership: Identify candidates for top volunteer leadership roles. Create plans to gain access to volunteer leadership prospects and candidates. Recruit qualified candidates and articulate goals, outcomes and objectives for performance in order to enable candidates to make good decisions regarding the acceptance of critical revenue generation goals. Ensure event committee structure in place 18 months prior to event, recruiting top-level volunteers from the market’s major employers, etc.
• Volunteer Development: Manage market board, including strategic recruitment of top corporate and philanthropic leaders, establishing, communicating and activating on meaningful goals to accomplish the market’s action plan for mission delivery and fundraising.
• Development Plans, Objectives and Strategies: Develop overall market revenue plans including core tactics and minimum standards of performance. Identify short and long range issues that must be addressed, and develop objectives and strategies to ensure successful attainment of financial goals, including profitable and aggressive, sustainable year over year growth, for the market. Increase overall market revenue by implementing core tactics for fundraising events.
• Prospect Identification and Sales Call Plan: Identify prospects, research and analyze development options in order to predict business opportunities. Review prospect lists and constituent base in order to develop a sales call plan and to schedule appointments with new constituents. Manage a personal portfolio of prospects.
• Constituent Presentations: Develop and present sales presentations in order to educate and sell mission engagement opportunities to prospects or constituents. Serve as the lead staff on all significant sponsorship asks in the market and engage potential national sponsors in a relationship with March of Dimes. Drive all sponsors in the market to activate their sponsorship aggressively.
• Sales Forecasts: Remain current on constituent needs, market trends, and competitor actions in order to create reliable sales forecasts and to identify opportunities for constituent development.
• Business Plan Creation and Analysis: Analyze and interpret data, make comparable analyses, recommend options and courses or action in order to develop or track business plans. Identify short or long-range issues that must be addressed to achieve plan objectives.
• Donor Cultivation: Develop, execute and monitor development strategies to enhance cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of donors.
• Train Staff and Volunteers: Lead staff and volunteers to and understanding of core tactics for fundraising events in order to achieve optimal fundraising outcomes. Coach and guide staff and volunteers in the execution of the event and achievement of expected outcomes.
• Staff Leadership: Build and maintain a team of “A” player staff. Hire, supervise and train all corporate development staff. Direct and coach market staff in the areas of fundraising, financial management, and volunteer and staff development in order to achieve maximum productivity and profitability outcomes. Provide information, educational opportunities and experiential growth opportunities in order to develop staff. Focus on the development of leadership skills and business acumen of direct reports in order to enhance the ability of the market to grow and thrive.
• Staff Leadership: Plan performance expectations, monitor and appraise the team member’s job results and performance in order to develop, coach and recognize direct reports. Provide ongoing feedback and guidance to direct reports on overall performance develop plans for performance improvement when needed.
• Executive Leadership: Responsible for the operations of the market, the delegation of responsibility within the market and the establishment of formal means of accountability in order to ensure meeting all business objectives in a cost effective manner.
• Budget Decisions: Develop market-wide budget, adjust and control expenditures and take advantage of opportunities to optimize spending in order to achieve chapter and financial targets. Devise strategies to get budget back in line in the event of exceeding targeted spending in certain areas.
• Communicate the Mission of the Foundation: Communicate the mission of the March of Dimes with staff, volunteers and within the community in order to connect current and prospective donors with Mission outcomes.
• Optimize Electronic Tools: Utilize electronic data management tools in order to review and analyze pertinent information and monitor financial and mission related results.
• Other Duties: Perform other duties from time-to-time in order to ensure the attainment of market financial goals.
• Previous Experience: Minimum of 5 to 7 years of directly related work experience in increasingly responsible positions
• Education: Bachelor’s degree strongly preferred and/or directly related professional skills and experience
• Physical Demands: May involve lifting and carrying boxes; may involve traveling by car or plane to meetings and training.
• Equipment Used: Computer and Printer, telephone, copier and fax machine