WARD TRUCKING LLC:
Ward Trucking LLC, a leader in the transportation industry, is seeking a Full Time Service Center Mechanic A for their Scranton Service Center located in Wilkes-Barre, PA.
Ward Trucking LLC offers a competitive wage rate and offers a benefits package to full time employees.
OB TITLE: "A" Mechanic
REPORTS TO: Shop Foreman
OVERVIEW OF ROLE: To complete repairs, inspections and service of all company equipment in a safe, timely and cost efficient manner.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Handle check-in: proper reporting of units checked through that are to be added to the shop list and installation of registrations.
- Handle proper delivery of co. freight.
- Knowledge of safely operating the tire machine, qualified for making the necessary tire repairs, knowledge of tire sizes and designs, and qualified to handle the tire repairman’s responsibilities.
- Knowledge of repairs to electrical and air systems. Replacement of minor equipment (Mud flaps, Lights, Radios, Etc).
- Lubrication of any type of power equipment, trailers & dolly's and proper inspection (as instructed).
- Proper reporting of accidents: (photos - decals - unit # - date).
- Ability to drive a tractor & trailer in Ward yard -- on premises.
- Maintain clean work area.
- Capable to complete welding (Stick, Tig and Mig)
- Capable of repairing all types of liftgates.
- Capable of performing forklift repairs as necessary.
- Properly complete independent power equipment and trailer PM's: state inspections & P.M.'s and also federal inspection.
- Qualified to perform independent P.M.’s: Engine tune-ups, replacement of main & rod bearings, component rebuild & replacement, water pumps, turbo, 5th wheels, clutches, transmissions, etc.
- Qualified to perform dependent PM's: " A " - " B " - " C " on All Power Equipment, Forklifts and Trailers.
- Knowledge and capability to complete major & minor power equipment and trailer repairs.
- Knowledge and understanding to trouble shoot and perform a failure analysis of component parts.
- Knowledge of systems located on power and non-power equipment.
- Capable of handling a road call and retrieves equipment when needed.
- Build, rebuild and repair al parts of equipment as may be required including engine overhauls.
- Diagnose any mechanical, electrical or other breakdown or failure related to trailers, tractors, & trucks including:
Brake system - check operation of air valves, cams, brake shoes and condition of air
Body - check floor boards for nails and holes. Check scuff rail to be sure it is properly
secured. Check roof for leaks and check wiring for lights.
Doors - check for complete / proper latch operation and also, hinges, rollers and track
condition / operation as well as overall operation. Swing and Roll up doors.
Tires - check condition to assure they are road worthy.
Ability to operate shop Laptop for diagnostic purposes.
- Complete all paper work and records in an accurate and timely manner:
Must be able to read and write.
Repair orders - complete repair order and note all comments.
Parts - identify parts being used so they are properly charged out.
Shop cards - properly complete shop cards daily.
Computer TMT maintenance software system - "learn to use".
All employees are expected to maintain superior customer relations, be involved and committed to continuous improvement, be willing to train and give aid to fellow employees. Work in an efficient manner, receive constructive criticism and praise in a business-like fashion, and maintain a positive attitude.
- Understanding and application of the safety practices related to this position.
- Understanding of the proper handling of hazardous material.
- Understanding and application of DOT, EPA, ICC, and OSHA rules & regulations.
- Ability to accurately read gauges and dials and accomplish specialized detail work required.
TOOLS: Maintain an adequate supply of personally owned hand tools to accomplish work.
LICENSE: Must possess a valid commercial driver’s license, Class A, and must possess a valid PA State Inspection license, Class 7. Applicants with an “E” restriction (automatic transmission only), or “K” restriction (intrastate only) on their CDL will not be considered for hire until those restrictions have been removed from their license.
TRAINING: Must be willing to participate in training classes given by or requested by the company. Must be willing to assist and train other Ward employees in areas of job classification as needed, which may involve travel to outside shop locations if necessary.
TRAVEL: Travel as required for maintenance reasons, including to outside service center locations. Period of stay will be determined on required need.
SCHEDULE: Must be willing to work in different departments, including shift changes and days of the week to keep the company operating in an efficient manner. Willing to work as shop coordinator when shop foreman is not on duty.
ENVIRONMENT: May be subject to climate fluctuations of a normal shop environment. May spend 50% of time exposed to heat, cold, dust, etc. May work with and be exposed to hazardous materials.
- After job offer, must meet or exceed medical standards of the US Dept. of Transportation and successfully pass company requirements.
- Must be able to pass all medical qualifications for a D.O.T. physical (even those applicants who do not have a CDL) as stated in the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations.
- Must be able to move, operate, lift, and store specialized equipment that includes, but not limited to welding equipment, hand tools, shop machines, and power.
- May require working underneath the trailer, tractor or truck.
- Must be able to enter / exit cab using footholds, ladders and handholds where available.
- Must be able to spend 80% of the day standing and 20% of the day walking on surfaces such as concrete, wood, and metal.
- Must be able to successfully pass a post offer physical agility test, specifically designed for the tasks associated with the position. The physical demands for this position are "Heavy", as defined by the Dictionary of Occupational Titles: Exerting 50 to 100 lb of force occasionally, and/or 25 to 50 lb of force frequently, and/or 10 to 20 lb of force constantly to move objects, physical demand requirements are in excess of those for medium work.
- Specific physical demands include, but are not limited to:
- Carrying: Occasional, up to 56 lbs., up to 25 feet
- Pushing: Occasional, up to 100 lbs., up to 150 feet
- Pulling: Occasional, up to 100 lbs., up to 150 feet
- Lifting - Floor to Knee, Knee to Waist, Waist to Shoulder: Occasional, up to 100 lbs.
- Lifting – Shoulder and Above: Occasional, up to 56 lbs.
- Balancing, Climbing, Crouching, Kneeling, Lying down, Reaching (below shoulder), Sitting: Occasional
- Stooping, Twisting, Bending, Reaching (shoulder or above), Standing: Frequent
This job description does not necessarily represent an exhaustive list of responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other different tasks be performed as circumstances change.