The Service Manager is responsible for the overall day-to-day operation of the Service Department to obtain optimum efficiency and economy of operations, superior customer service, and optimal profits. The Service Manager is accountable for the financial and operational Service Department results.
- Establish and maintain consistent department practices
- Improve Customer Service
- Grow the Service Department, reduce costs and increase Gross Profits
- Manage the Service Department’s Administrative costs
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Collaboratively work with Branch VP and VP of Service Operations to plan and develop organizational policies and goals.
- Supervise Field Dispatcher, Shop Forman, and Service Technicians in shop and field
- Evaluate training and staffing needs and carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws
- Conduct and/or oversee annual performance evaluations with department personnel
- Identify and meet staffing needs
- Direct and coordinate methods of improvement to service in the present market while developing new markets to obtain a competitive position
- Develop a means for measuring customer service; assess technicians’ ability to provide customer service in a timely manner
- Develop and maintain ongoing positive key customer relationships
- Create and analyze department budgets, financial statements and business plans, identifying opportunities and creating plans to streamline and reduce cost while increasing efficiency
- Actively review operating reports with managers and administrative personnel to determine needed changes in programs or operations as required; Execute changes to optimize results
- Must Develop and maintain a strong relationship with all manufacturers’ representatives
- Work with the Branch VP and VP of Service Operations in creating and defining support packages
- Responsible for ensuring that the branch is in compliance with all safety codes including keeping updated on all regulations and codes, creating policies that comply with codes and communicating the policies to personnel
· Self-motivated and goal orientated
· Possess strong organizational skills
· Ability to adapt to changes in work loads.
· Adjust priorities quickly as circumstances dictate
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- High School diploma or equivalent required
- 5 -10 years related manufacturer and/or distributor experience preferred
- Bachelor’s degree or Associates degree is a plus
- Previous experience in a management or supervisory role a plus.
- Knowledge of heavy equipment industry lines of equipment, service trends and competitive initiatives required. Must have the technical aptitude to develop solutions that benefit the customer and the company.
- Proven experience needed in preventative maintenance concepts and structuring overhaul projects. Must have familiarity with specific lines of equipment serviced by the company and the ability to quickly grasp mechanical and technical nuances (hydraulics, electronics) of new lines
- Possess the ability to creatively define and communicate the Service Department operations and execute its’ vision. Successfully implement change and measure results.
- Ability to enhance the company's image with current and prospective customers.
- Ability to diplomatically address customer issues and resolve problems using excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Can effectively present information and respond to questions from managers, personnel and customers.
- Possess strong leadership skills including demonstrated ability to assess development needs of personnel and managing workforce.
- Ability to analyze financial and operating data to identify issues or opportunities relative to service trends. Write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals.
Computer literate- Internal Operating Systems, Microsoft Office Operating Systems: Excel, Access and Word. Must be comfortable using Excel to analyze monthly results and develop forecasts and plans.
While performing the duties of this position, the individual will be required to stand, walk, sit, use hands/fingers with both fine and gross motor movements, reach with hands and arms, climb and balance, stoop, kneel crouch or crawl. Specific vision abilities required by this job includes close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision and ability to adjust focus.
This job operates in both an office and field environment. Regular exposure to moving mechanical parts, loud machinery and occasional outside weather conditions should be expected.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the personnel for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time.