Field Service Technician
Status: Non-Exempt (hourly)
Department: Field Service
The Field Service Technician will support our fuel cell products currently installed in electric lift trucks, including performing preventative maintenance and resolving breakdowns. This person will be responsible for the installation servicing a fleet of fuel cells at a specific location. This person will also be responsible for reporting breakdown events, parts ordering and maintenance of fuel cells at a specific location. This position presents a great amount of exposure to customer personnel and electric lift truck operators, and thus requires a person with excellent technical skills as well as communication, interpersonal and motivational skills. A person in this position has the potential for promotion to a regional service representative position.
Core Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintenance and service of fuel cells at customer sites.
- Performing diagnostics, troubleshooting, and evaluations to maintain the fleet at a specific location.
- Performing specialized service procedures, including field retrofits and software and hardware upgrades to existing fuel cells.
- Providing emergency support service to customers as required.
- Purchasing tools, equipment, and parts for customer service and support as required.
- May require troubleshooting and maintenance of high-pressure hydrogen storage, delivery and fueling systems.
- May include maintaining ongoing communication with customer personnel hydrogen suppliers regarding aftermarket support of fuel cells.
- Providing regular feedback to regional service representatives regarding fuel cell performance and field maintenance issues.
- Completing administrative duties & documentation, including: incident reports, service logs, inventory maintenance and site and system documentation.
- Exhibiting and enforcing safety procedures in the field or customer sites.
- May be required to drive for Company business needs; expected to drive safely and to adhere to all traffic laws
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Minimum high school diploma or equivalent with technical electrical coursework
- Three or more years direct experience in mechanical and electrical troubleshooting. Formal training and education may be also considered in lieu of direct experience.
- Must possess a valid driver license, a clean driving record, and the ability to safely operate a motor vehicle.
- Electrical troubleshooting skills
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds on regular basis unassisted
- Mechanical troubleshooting and repair skills
- Knowledge of lift truck operation and applications
- General mechanical aptitude
- Computer software skills - Windows, internet, Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word
- Strong verbal communication skills
- Clear, precise written communicator
- Creativity in solving technical problems
- Ability to work independently
- Good time management skills with the ability to handle multiple tasks
- Punctual and reliable
- Technician must provide own standard set of tools - specific fuel cell tools to be provided by Plug power.
Plug Power, Inc. is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.