Litigation Paralegal assists attorneys in a broad range of substantive case management legal work. The Litigation Paralegal works in a team environment which may include one or more attorneys, paralegals and legal assistants. Responsibilities will vary depending on the case and the attorney(s), but generally include commencement of action activities, discovery document management, and trial/post-trial support.
Must be able to work independently with minimal or no supervision.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Draft standard summons and complaints
- Draft standard answers or other responsive pleadings
- Participate in fact investigation (witness interviews, site inspections, material evidence)
- Draft correspondence and other memorandum
- Discovery Case Management
- Maintain client files/organize cases/keep track of deadlines
- Draft or finalize discovery responses(interrogatories, discovery requests and answers, motions and stipulations)
- Trial/Post-Trial Support
- Set up trial office and handle court logistics (equipment procurement, delivery and/or return of trial documents, etc.)
- Prepare trial notebooks
- Prepare and coordinate witnesses
- Attend trial to take notes and handle exhibits
Education & Work Experience Required :
- 1-2 years work as a paralegal in a legal firm with previous trial experience.
- Strong knowledge of state and federal court rules including procedures for filing.
- Proficiency with case and document management, especially the discovery process.
- Self-starter with excellent organizational skills and exceptional attention to detail.
- BA/BS degree and/or paralegal certificate . Equivalent experience may be considered as a substitute for paralegal certification