Technical Service Specialist
- Great opportunity to work for a global company at the forefront of mining
- Advance your career and develop your leadership potential in a pioneering organisation
- We offer competitive paid parental leave entitlements and flexible work arrangements
Are you ready to be a part of our pioneering Sales & Marketing team?
The high-quality materials Rio Tinto produces are essential to making modern life work. Aluminium and copper, diamonds, gold and industrial minerals, iron ore, coal and uranium: from microscopic circuit board parts in your smartphone and computer to the hull of a supertanker, our materials make up the world around us. We own and operate open pit and underground mines, mills, refineries, smelters, power stations, and research and service facilities. And we use our railways, ports and ships to deliver our products to our customers. Underpinning everything we do is an absolute commitment to safety - for our people, contractors, and the communities and environments in which we operate.
Join us and help shape our commercial presence in the US
Rio Tinto is establishing a US Sales & Marketing office in Chicago. Part of the new Commercial organisation, US facing sales and marketing roles from across multiple products and locations will be based in Chicago. This is an exciting next step in our Commercial journey and for your career.
You"ll get to join a pioneering team delivering commercial insights and driving commercial value across our mine to market value chain. From East Coast to West Coast; from the desert to the mountains; from small towns to big cities, our diverse portfolio of assets and activities has helped shape the mining industry across the United States. We supply 30 per cent of the world"s refined borates from our world-class mine in Boron, California. Our Bingham Canyon mine, located just south-west of Salt Lake City, Utah, has produced more copper than any other operation in history. And our Resolution Copper project in Arizona is among the top ten largest undeveloped copper assets in the world.
What the role entails
This role is a great opportunity to manage non-routine activities having high levels of complexity in support of new product and new application projects. You will:
- Fully support the health, safety and environmental programs by participating in compliance and corporate programs.
- Support customers in technical matters and provide high quality service to answer questions, share information, and coordinate testing when needed
- Develop relationships with key customers/specifiers in relevant industries to learn about medium to long term projects for borate products
- Identify market needs and business opportunities; new markets, new application segments, product value proposition, product differentiation and market positioning
- Initiate, coordinate and/or leads new application and/or new product development projects including collaborations with external partners, such as academic groups, national labs and contract testing labs
What you will need for this role
- Advanced knowledge of chemistry is required. Additional job specific study and direct job experience is required.
- Communications skills needed to explain project plans and results and to coordinate project activities.
- Leadership skills are necessary for directing others
- Strong mathematical skills are needed for project-related calculations.
- Analytical and statistical skills are needed for data analysis and determination of data significance.
- Computer skills are required to manage and analyze data and to produce project reports, communications and presentation materials.
- Self-motivation is necessary for independent work, ensuring that work progresses in a timely manner without supervision.
- Organizational skills are necessary for directing others and coordinating workflow and project activities.
- Interpersonal skills are necessary in order to work with staff members of other departments and locations without major conflicts.
- Administrative skills are required to document data and activities.
- Planning skills are needed for directing others, setting goals, and coordinating project activities
- Training and team building skills are necessary to work with colleagues as well as other company departments.
- Presentation skills are required to communicate project concepts and results to internal and external customers.
As pioneers in mining and metals, we produce materials essential to human progress.
Our long history is filled with firsts. We"ve developed some of the world"s largest and best quality mines and operations, and our people work in around 35 countries across six continents. We"ve led the industry in partnerships, with customers in new markets, and with local communities.
We"ve pioneered technological innovations, such as our Mine of the Future™ programme and our low-CO2 aluminium from hydropower. And we"ve paved the way in areas such as safety, tax transparency and legacy management.
Inclusion & Diversity
We are a diverse team of talented, enthusiastic individuals who foster a culture of inclusion. No matter how they may differ, our people share one thing in common. It"s a belief that work is more rewarding when we are accepted and valued for our differences, not judged by them. We all have something to contribute, and it"s this contribution that makes for a great organization and fulfilling career.
If you"re interested in launching your career with us, apply today for an exciting tomorrow.
Please note, in order to be successfully considered for this role you must complete all pre-screening questions.
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V
Rio Tinto participates in E-Verify to confirm work authorization. Please visit http://www.uscis.gov/ for more information.