Coordinates and exercises functional authority for planning, organization, control, integration, and completion of tooling engineering projects within area of assigned responsibility by performing the following duties personally or through other individuals.
Summary of Essential Job Functions
- Analyzes engineering sketches, specifications, and related data and drawings to determine design factors such as size, shape, and arrangement of parts.
- Develops the structural design of products using drafting tools or computer-assisted design (CAD) or drafting equipment and software.
- Research, design, evaluate, install, operate, and maintain mechanical products, equipment, systems and processes to meet requirements, applying knowledge of engineering principles.
- Confer with staff or other personnel to implement operating procedures, resolve system malfunctions, or provide technical information.
- Recommend design modifications to eliminate machine or system malfunctions.
- Conduct research that tests or analyzes the feasibility, design, operation, or performance of equipment, components, or systems.
- Investigate equipment failures and difficulties to diagnose faulty operation, and to make recommendations to engineering and management.
- Develop and test models of alternate designs and processing methods to assess feasibility, operating condition effects, possible new applications and necessity of modification.
- Develop, coordinate, or monitor all aspects of production, including selection of manufacturing methods, fabrication, or operation of product designs.
- Specify system components or direct modification of products to ensure conformance with engineering design and performance specifications.
- Determines and implements improvements to equipment, processes, etc… to reduce cost, decrease cycle time and improve throughput.
- Plans and formulates engineering program and organizes project staff according to project requirements.
- Assigns project personnel to specific phases or aspects of project such as technical studies, product design, preparation of specifications and technical plans, and product testing.
- Reviews product design for compliance with engineering principles, company standards, and customer contract requirements, and related specifications.
- Coordinates activities with suppliers and vendors concerned with technical developments, scheduling, and resolving engineering design and test problems.
- Evaluates and approves design changes, specifications, and drawing releases.
- Controls expenditures within limitations of project budget.
- Prepares interim and completion project reports.
- Measures machine and parts during production to ensure compliance with design specifications.
- Other tasks as assigned by immediate supervisor or Management representatives.
- Stop production if unsafe parts, actions or poor quality conditions exist
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent and three (3) years progressive experience; or ten (10) years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Identifies complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions
- Uses logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Considers the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.