Job ID: 126811
HK Contractors, is a member of the Oldcastle Materials Mountain West Division; Our purpose, commitment to the future, and formula for growth is to champion the safety, empowerment, and development of our employees. We strive to be The Preferred Source of quality sand, rock, landscape products, ready-mixed concrete, asphalt, paving and construction services. We succeed as a team by embracing integrity, mutual respect, innovation, service, sustainability, and financial strength.
The Trucking Dispatcher is ultimately responsible for the creation and management of the daily trucking needs of all operational functions and duties. This will include the creation of a daily schedule and the communication of that schedule between drivers and operations. Position will report to HK Trucking Manager.
Key Responsibilities (Essential Duties and Functions)
- Have a pleasant and accommodating voice over the phone and always demonstrate a positive attitude.
- Develop a positive rapport with Drivers and company supervisors.
- Demonstrate familiarity with delivery areas and must be able to assist drivers in finding jobsites.
- Must be able to determine travel time to jobs and best plant location to service jobs.
- Able and willing to work overtime and varying shifts including early mornings, late afternoons, and Saturdays.
- Participate in, encourage and facilitate a ZERO Harm safety culture throughout all employees and within the transportation group.
- Continually monitor and ensure high utilization of all HK owned trucking fleet.
- Including the continued focus on potential new business along with meeting the current business needs.
- Communicate daily with each supervisor at or before 3 pm to determine next day’s trucking needs/schedule.
- This will include continual communication with all supervisors and job foreman to ensure proactive scheduling of all resources including hired haulers.
- This will utilize Trak-it tools and software
- Internal Traffic Control Plans will also be gathered and provided to all drivers as necessary for each job and schedule.
- Will be responsible to proactively communicate with all external hired haulers.
- Learning and knowing all possible hired haul resources, including working with Trucking Manager to source cost effective solutions.
- Trucking Dispatcher will have an understanding and a continuing knowledge of legal load limits, axle limitations and current capacities.
- This will include working with Transportation Admin to obtain necessary permits and ensure all transportation schedules are conducted legally.
- Trucking Dispatcher will have working and continual knowledge of all DOT laws and regulations along with the new ELD Mandate and HOS regulations.
- In accordance with developing schedule, HOS Regulations will be continually monitored and evaluated.
- Trucking Dispatcher will be available for driver issues, operations issues and/or needed business at all times of the day.
- Continual communication process through cell phone, email, Trak-it and/or any and all other means will be in place.
- Some weekend work/duties will be required as necessary.
- Trucking Dispatcher will also learn all aspects of the Transportation Office in order to fill in when necessary.
- Driver Files
- Mobile Machinery Stickers
- Any and all other duties as assigned by Trucking Manager and/or Regional Manager.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disability to perform the essential functions.
- High school diploma or General Education Degree GED is preferred.
- Prior related experience in the industry is a plus.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual should be able to type and use keyboards accurately and have knowledge of Database software (Command Alkon); Internet software; Order processing systems; Spreadsheet software and Word Processing software.
- Customer service skills are essential.
- Ability to read and comprehend instructions, correspondence, and memos.
- Ability to write clearly and effectively.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed, but uninvolved written or oral instructions.
- Ability to work well with others in a group or one on one setting.
- Customer Service - Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs.
- Teamwork - Contributes to building a positive team spirit.
- Judgment - Exhibits sound and accurate judgment.
- Planning/Organizing - Uses time efficiently.
- Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Accepts responsibility for own actions.
- Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures; Determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly.
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time.
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals.
- Initiative - Asks for and offers help when needed.
- Innovation - Generates suggestions for improving work.
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, talk, or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit, climb, and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, crawl, kneel, bend, and reach with hands and arms above their shoulders. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move from 10 to 100 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision and depth perception
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.
The statements included in this job description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria necessary to successfully perform the job. Other duties may be assigned as required. Requirements for this job are subject to modification by the Company and its designees, and reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
What Oldcastle Offers You
- A culture that values opportunity for growth, development and internal promotion
- Highly competitive base pay
- Comprehensive medical, dental and disability benefits programs
- Group retirement savings program
- Health and wellness programs
Oldcastle has a long and proud heritage as one of North America’s largest corporations. We are a proud reflection of the hundreds of family businesses, local and regional companies and mid to large sized enterprises that together form the Oldcastle family. Oldcastle operates with a decentralized, diversified structure, letting you work in a small company environment while having the career opportunities of a large enterprise.
Oldcastle is a great place to grow! If you’re up for a rewarding challenge, we invite you to take the first step and apply today! Please complete your online application and profile which will be sent directly to the appropriate Hiring Manager. Thank you for your interest in the Oldcastle family!
HK Contractors is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.
EOE/Vet/Disability--If you want to know more, please click on this link.
HK Contractors is part of the Oldcastlecareers™ network.